5.15.2011

The Gift of Peace

Every Sunday morning at Agape, we go around the circle introducing ourselves by saying our names an answering a question. This past Sunday, the question was: "What is one of your favorite gifts that you've received from someone"? The answers varied: my family, my children, my life, my God, my guitar, my peace. Can peace be a gift? Agape congregants sure think so. As they live lives rife with addiction, unemployment, and homelessness, peace is hard to come by; therefore, when peace is found and received, it is indeed a gift. In John 14:23-27, Jesus offers his followers peace: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." According to Jesus, peace is available. We just need to come to him and ask. Paul writes in Phillipians that this peace "transcends understanding," and it will "guard our hearts and minds." After the Bible Study, some prayed to receive this wonderful peace. May the Lord provide. May the Lord fulfill his promise to grant us this great gift.